How To Reduce Inflammation In Your Diet
The foods you consume daily may cause inflammation in the body and put you at risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and arthritis. Inflammation is of two kinds – acute and chronic. While acute inflammation is useful, chronic inflammation is the foundation of many diseases. Inflammation is considered the body’s natural response to healing. Acute inflammation can heal a cut finger or a bumped head. The white blood cells and their chemicals enter, perform their work and get out. However, too much of a good thing may turn into bad. Chronic inflammation damages, instead of repairs, tissues and may lead to many diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, gouty arthritis, shoulder tendinitis and polymyalgia. The good news is, with minor changes in your diet, you can remove the amount of inflammation in your body.
How to reduce inflammation with the right nutrition:
1. Remove dairy products as they are highly inflammatory and can also cause joint pain. Try to stay away from dairy products for two weeks (all forms including whey protein if you use it) and see if you can feel a difference in joint pain.
2. Eliminate grains from your diet! Unluckily, grains can be an inflammatory as well. Go ‘gluten free’ initially to check if this reduces inflammation and pain. If this doesn’t, eliminate all types of grains. Same rule applies here also – try to get rid of grains for 2 weeks and check if you feel a difference.
3. Limit or eliminate red meat. It is also highly inflammatory to the system. Eliminate or, if not possible, limit the intake of red meat for two weeks to see if there is a difference.
4. Eat lots of colourful fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants. It is essential to eat antioxidant-rich foods as it will boost your body’s defences against disease.
5. Include anti-inflammatory fats in your daily diet. You can opt for omega-3 rich foods such as fish or foods rich in algae-based omega-3 DHA. Try to consume only olive oil. The fats in fish oils, nuts and flaxseed prevent inflammation.
6. Eliminate processed foods from your daily diet. You must reduce if not eliminate sugar, processed foods and foods that have saturated or trans fats.
Ideally, you would remove dairy, grains, red meat all at one time. You actually need 2 weeks to see how your body responds to the changes. It is advisable to eliminate these foods for 30 days and then add each of these foods to see how your body responds to it. Make sure you add these foods back one at a time.
Did This Blog Help You? If so, I would greatly appreciate if you commented below and shared on Facebook or other social media.